Top Tips for Tricky Tenants!
Whether you are a property mogul or investing in a buy-to-let, the landscape for Landlord’s is becoming more and more difficult to traverse. Recent updates in legislation have led to confusion throughout the Residential Landlord & Tenant sector for all parties, however errors may result in a serious imbalance in favour of the Tenant. Below are some of the questions for Landlord’s to consider before falling prey to a potentially tricky tenant:
- Are the terms of the Agreement fair, clear and most importantly, is it the Agreement you thought it was – just because a document purports to be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) does not mean it is;
- Is there a Tenancy Deposit and have you complied with the Prescribed Requirements – failure to do so could not only be costly but also create massive delays in regaining possession at a later stage;
- Do you know your Tenant – guessing that a Tenant is a Lawful Occupier does not protect you;
- Are you instructing an agent and are they following your instructions – as far as the Tenant is concerned that agent is you; and
- How would you evict your Tenant if you needed to – at any stage a Landlord may wish to regain possession of their property, it is useful to know in advance both the options and procedure before that day comes.
Legal Executive – City Office